Monday, June 10, 2019

The Deep Wood (10 June 2019)


-        Montague Whitsel
Awakening_
I went in search of the Deep Wood
and found a flowering bower
through which I passed
on my way down
into a pleasant entwining
of greening vine.
And there I came to three Great Oaks
near a glistening trout stream!                               1

By the Pool of Wondering
I asked the residents there,
“Where to, fish, from here?”
To which the Trout replied—
“Over the multicolored Tor,
across the skating pond
and down to the twisted Hazelnut,
where a Triple Gate shall be found.”                       2

I thanked the fish, and went on_
in search of the Deep Wood,
capturing as I went
a verdant scent of the elusive Self
which had long been lost to me.
A spiral way I walked all the while,
seeking the Tripled Gate.                                       3

I found the Tor and crossed┼over
wandering down to the skating pond,
upon which I met a badger
who addressed me, tersely--
asking whether I knew my way!
“Ha!” I replied, evasively,
“I know the cerulean night sky
and the emerald mountain DIS_
What else?”
_At this response he let me pass by.                      4

It was then I was visioned
with the Twisted Hazelnut
beyond which I saw the Tripled Gate!
Swooning in a pearly awareness
that was multicolouring my senses_
I sought the Self I never yet was
beyond the prophetic Hazelnut Tree!                      5

Riptides took me treeing along roots,
Where-across I found my lost sylvan runes;
They were calling out to me
as I went_
slipping over into a nether place
of stranger aspect than I had known
there-to-fore!                                                          6

Betwixt the pillars of the Triple Gate
I fell into a muse-inspired stupor.
I journeyed without going;
I progressed without thinking;
I traversed the Gate and went beyond_                  7

And when I awoke
I was in the Deep Wood, singing
to the flowers and the creatures there_
centered and Silent
in the Solitude of Belonging;
all-covered with Vervain and Myrtle!                       8
So mote it be!

No comments:

Post a Comment